Saving, modifying or editing profiles
To save a profile, either
- Close the profile window or press <Esc>, and answer "Yes", or
- Choose "Save" from the "File" menu, or
- Click on the floppy disk icon in the tool bar, or
- Click on the floppy disk + arrow icon to save and close the profile.
To modify or edit a profile, open it by double click on its row and then either
- Double click anywhere in its window to switch the profile to edit mode, or
- Right click on any white space and choose 'Edit'.
There are many tools to help you complete and format the information you enter into profiles including a spelling checker and thesaurus. In addition, shaded fields allow paragraph and text formatting, including numbered and bullet points, alignment, spacing, tabs, etc. You can even drag and drop files into a shaded field to attach them as in an e-mail message.
There are many different types of fields on the profile forms. Most are optional and don't need to be completed. However, some are required and these are always all located in the first section, "Required Information", and have red field prompts.
Any field which has a "?" next to its prompt, has an explanatory pop-up help window. Click and hold anywhere on a field prompt to see its pop-up help.
Many fields let you pop-up a list of valid keyword values. Some restrict what you can enter in the field to only the values shown in the pop-up list. You can customize many of these keyword lists to suit your needs as explained in Creating keywords.
Some fields allow you to select more than one value; others only allow one.
However, fields that present choices as radio buttons allow on one choice to be set. Selecting 'No choice', if displayed, will clear your selection and leave the field's value blank. This is allowed where you do not have to provide a value or the value is unknown.
Shaded profile fields
Some fields have shaded backgrounds. These differ from the others and are very similar to the body of an e-mail message. You can
- Attach or embed computer files such as Word, or similar. Attach as many files as you need, for example translations, etc. in these fields;
- Set text formatting, fonts, paragraph spacing, bullet and numbered points, tabs, alignment, colour, etc.;
- Embed or attach any file type;
- Add doc-links to other profiles; and
- Insert horizontal rules, tables, columns, sections and page breaks.
Attach or embed files in the first shaded field ("Scanned document image or application file") in the Primary Information section of a profile. Generally, this file will be a copy of static evidence, such as the scanned image of a paper document or photograph. The first file attached in this field is opened when you click [R+ General > View documents] or click 'Launch'. It is also the main document used by the Evidence Cruncher when it is processing documents.
Document profiles are also used to manage new or existing work product and eliminate the need for extra, and costly, third party document management products. As work product files are edited, they are automatically saved back to the profiles and don't need to be stored on your hard disk.