Installing MasterFile - macOS Helper apps
Native macOS utilities and apps we use with MasterFile -- and some Windows applications too!
This is our preferred PDF viewer, and is free. We like its tabbed interface too. Alternative options are Foxit PDF Creator or Acrobat Pro for macOS. If you already have another, that's fine too.
You can download Foxit here. Click 'Free Software' and then Free Download and then select Platform as macOS.
Make sure your choice of PDF viewer is set as the default for your Mac. For Foxit, the steps are here.
- Click System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Click Keyboard.
- Click the General tab and then, Open Anyway. You may have to click the lock first.
Open the Foxit installer if it did not open itself. There will be an Open option now.
Note that only Acrobat Pro, Windows version, is integrated with MasterFile for redaction; on the Mac you must redact your document and then either load the redacted version using Express Load's "Revised documents and profile data" function or simply drag and drop the redacted PDF back into the original document's profile field shown below.
On macOS, native apps do not recognise the special Notes URL, such as
Notes URLs can open any specific MasterFile database or profile within any MasterFile case.
We've provided a helper app called LinCastor courtesy of Ondrej Florian that creates that association for macOS users. You can then click on any Notes / MasterFile URL in Calendar, Mail, etc. to open that case or profile instantly.
You can download it here.
In Finder, navigate to where you downloaded the LinCastor.zip file.
- Double click LinCastor.zip to unzip it.
- While holding the Ctrl key, click the LinCastor app icon and a menu is displayed.
- Choose 'Open'.
- Click 'OK' if you see a prompt like the one below. macOS Gatekeeper asks for permission whenever you run an app not from the Apple Store the first time.
The Lincastor dialog box is shown next.
- Click 'URL Scheme / Extension Registry' (usually the default).
- Click 'Add New Scheme'.
- In the Create URL Handler pop-up box, type notes as shown.
- Click 'Create'.
- Type a description.
- Click 'Application' as the handler.
- Click 'Choose...'.
You will need your home folder name. If you are unsure, open a new Finder window and use ⌘+⇧+H to highlight your home folder.
Navigate to the application 'Crossover Helper (MasterFile)' exactly as described next.
- In the Open/Save window that appeared from the 'Choose' option in the screenshot above, use ⌘+⇧+G to 'Go to Folder'.
- Replace 'ze' with your home folder name In this path, and then copy it.
- Now paste the path into the 'Go to folder' dialog box as I've done below. It shows /Users/ze ... because 'ze' is my home folder name.
- Click 'Go'.
- Select 'Crossover Helper (MasterFile)' and click 'Open'.
The final dialog box will look as below with the new entry
Application: Crossover Helper (MasterFile).
- Click Save and Activate.
The window will close. Clicking on a Notes link in an email (such as in the gMail message shown below), or in a calendar entry, etc., will now open the associated database or profile in MasterFile.
PDFs are not produced on the fly when importing EML and MSG files. Similarly, without Office 2010 installed with MasterFile, matching EML files for MSG files are not produced on the fly.
MasterFile v8.1 therefore integrates online conversion for native emails
- MSG to EML and PDF
- EML to PDF.
The process is explained here.
We also suggest Zamzar.com for email files larger than 1mb. It costs $9/month for unlimited conversions with no contract. Since Zamzar generated filenames match the source, emails and related conversions can be imported into MasterFile with one click using Express Load. Drag and drop your EML or MSG files onto their webpage, choose the output format as PDF (and for MSGs, also as EML) and ZamZar converts the uploaded files in one click.
Since the integrated OCR module of the MasterFile Evidence Cruncher is not supported on macOS, the EC is specially priced for macOS users. Format conversion, production, Bates stamping and all other features are supported.
For bulk OCR, therefore, we suggest the macOS version of Abbyy Finereader to convert image documents into searchable PDF -- the same OCR engine used in the EC. Using Finereader, you will be easily able to reload the searchable PDF versions of image documents back into MasterFile in a few clicks.
Read more about Finereader for macOS and/or download a free trial here.
Irfanview, which is free, is one of the best image viewers on macOS or Windows.
Although macOS Preview or any other macOS image viewer you use as your default is fine too, we like IrfanView as its window position is persistent over future sessions, once it's been used. For example, we keep Irfanview next to Notes, so we can profile and view images side-by-side and it stays there - unless dragged elsewhere.
You can continue using Preview initially if you prefer and install Irfanview later if you choose.
Here's how to do so.
- Download the 32bit exe here to your downloads folder.
- Double click the file view452_setup.exe to launch it.
- In the window that opens, start typing Irfanview and select IrfanView 4 from the list.
On the next screen,
- Click 'Select Bottle'.
- Click 'MasterFile'.
- Click 'Continue' and then, Install.
On Catalina, you may see the macOS message below.
- Click Cancel and the installer will continue.
The Irfanview installer runs next.
- Make sure you only select the options circled below in red.
- Click 'Next'.
On the next screen,
- Click 'Images only'.
- Click 'Next'.
On the next two screens,
- Click 'Next' to accept the preset default 'User's Application Data folder', and
- Click 'Yes' to confirm file associations.
- Deselect the two options circled in red.
- Click 'Done'.
You'll see Crossover's progress bars fill as it completes its final steps, followed by the message:
'The installation of IrfanvView 4 completed.'
- Click 'Done'.
In some cases, Crossover does not generate the proper icons for newly installed apps and instead substitues its own gear icon. In this case, regenerate the icons as explained here.
To use MasterFile's Grab & Go reporting, its Client Intake forms, and for Evidence Cruncher to convert Office files, you need Microsoft Office. The only supported version for macOS users is Office 2010, Windows version. If your Crossover MasterFile bottle did not come preloaded with Office 2010 you must request the correct Microsoft Office 2010 standalone installer from us and follow our instructions to install. Activation can then proceed via your existing or a new Office 365 subscription, or an Office 2010 serial number.