Printing and Export
A timeline's appearance on screen determines what is printed or exported to PDF. Therefore, before starting, set the appearance you want by
- zooming to the appropriate level
- grouping events, if applicable,
- collapsing groups you want to omit, and
- filtering, to select specific events or to limit the number of visible events in the output.
You can print and export both the timeline and relationship views.
The Print Options dialog
When printing, you can set several options
- Skin - Choose your preferred skin. The default "Print" skin is standard black on white.
- Size - This setting adjusts scaling. Scaling text gives better clarity than native scaling in Windows or on your printer.
- Format - Choose what part of your timeline to print. "Print expanded groups only" can be set when printing a date range or the entire timeline and omits all collapsed groups from the output. Otherwise, their title is shown with the explanation "Collapsed group".
Exporting to PDF or Image
PDF or Image export works almost exactly like printing.
- Adjust the screen display as explained above so the timeline is as you want it to look when exported.
- Click on File > Export > Image/PDF
- Select how much of the timeline to export and click OK.
- Navigate to the location you want and type a filename. Choose PDF, or for images, PNG, JPG or BMP.
Exporting to Web
You can export both timelines and their relationship views as read-only web-browser viewable files. The live web view mirrors MasterFile Timeline and users can scroll, zoom, and search as well as expand/collapse individual groups and events. The web view was designed to enable
- easy collaboration with clients and co-counsel,
- easy presentations where you cannot install MasterFile or use your own laptop or several users need to see timeline content simultaneously
by emailing the output for recipients to use locally or publishing it to the web for collaboration and sharing.
- Click on File > Export > Web
- Navigate to where you want to save the web view and create a new folder for the output. Select it and the output files are saved there.
The export creates several items in that folder including
- aeontimeline.html (you can rename this to reflect the section you exported)
Double click on aeontimeline.html (or its new name) to open the timeline your browser.
To distribute the timeline, we suggest you zip the folder you created and send.
To publish, upload the folder to the web and share its URL or create a link to the .html file.
You can see an example here.